Rarely do I agree with the Kansas City (please look at our) STAR, but THEY are right: The Kansas City Chiefs are, well, toast.
We are at the time of the demise of the politically incorrect Kansas City Chiefs. Maybe it’s finally time to give in to the protestors and change the team.
So, humbly I suggest what Jonathon Swift might have offered as “A Modest Proposal.” The new name of the Kansas City Football team should be.The Chiefs. Not the Native American suggestion of the past, but a tribute to firefighters across the nation.who doesn’t love firefighters? What kid does not, at least once, want to be a fire-man, uh, fighter, yeah, uh firefighter?
What middle aged person who lived through 9-11, does not admire and respect those first responders? Who does NOT want a firefighter at their home when it’s afire? .and who leads the Fire Team? THE CHIEF! So.
THE KANSAS CITY FIRE CHIEFS!
From a management standpoint this is a win:
1. The name would not have to change: still the Chiefs.
2. The team colors would not have to change; red and gold (colors of fire) still works just as well.
I know there are drawbacks:
1. Arrowhead Stadium would have to be renamed; I’d suggest the Firehouse, but Jackson [also soon to be renamed] county will wimp out and call it the “H”.
2. The Arrow LOGO WOULD have to change, perhaps to a fire fighter’s helmet.
There are side benefits, Disco may have a rebirth:
1. The song “Fire” might come back.
2. The play-by-play guys will have a new line: no more “Hammer Down” BUT “Put The Axe Down!,” or “Put the Fire Out!”
The players may also gain something:
1. The NFL may allow the helmet to be modified to look like a fire fighter’s helmet.WHICH COULD INCLUDE a Hans’s type device (similar to NASCAR). VERY Politically Correct (making the game safer).
But the true winner might just be the fans:
1. Those fans, who have learned the Tomahawk Chop, will only have to modify it to the Fire Axe Chop.
2. A whole new meaning for “Burn the house down!”
3. A new defense chant: “Put the Fire out”!
Just a thought. But it probably won’t work, there will probably be just be too much “Backdraft.”
So, maybe we should just go with my more modest proposal: that protesters should take to the streets of the Plaza and the corridors of Oak Park Mall, and those who can should break windows and doors and reappropriate lingerie from Victoria’s Secret until Clark Hunt gets the message: Move the team to Fairbanks, Alaska; rename team to: The Generics; change the colors to black and white.
I don’t know about you, but I’ll gladly be dressed in black and white, cheering for the Fairbanks Generics! Just hope Andy, Patrick, Travis, and their boys like cold weather, but it will make playing at Lambeau seem like a late summer preseason game.
Thanks for your time.
Howard A. Prost,
Doc. Herald, not really a doctor, but 25 years as a teacher, I’ve assumed the honorary title of doctor, given to me by…me!
-Howard A. Prost