Platte County Landmark  
The Platte County Landmark

Covering Platte County, Missouri Weekly Since 1865

Local News

Between the Lines
by Ivan Foley

Off the Couch
by Greg Hall

Off the Wall
by CK Rairden



Community Calendar



Weekly publication dates are Thursdays

***Sign up for ***
The Landmark's E*Newsletter


Featured Advertisers

Pirate probe headed
for inactive status

by Kim Fickett
Landmark reporter

No new information and no new leads.

That's the official word coming from the Platte City Police Department regarding the case of the large Pirate statue that was stolen from the lobby at Platte County High School only to be recovered several days later.

Det. Dennis Trabue stated that the case of the Pilfered Pirate may be only a few days away from being considered inactive by the police department.

"We have just about reached the end of our leads and the investigation. When there's no further evidence or an investigation, the case is considered inactive by the police department," stated Trabue.

As of press time the case was still considered active, but Trabue stated the case is growing closer to that inactive status every day.
"Once we've taken care of every lead we have, we have to go into an inactive status, and we've pretty much exhausted all of those leads," explained Trabue.

Trabue explained that once the case does enter into inactive status, the department will not be able to turn anything over to the prosecutor's office because it isn't a closed case.

"At this time we don't have a prosecutable case to present to the prosecutor," said Trabue.

The eight-foot-tall, 700-1,000 wood-carved Pirate was stolen from the high school lobby between 8:30 p.m., Saturday, March 23 and 10:30 a.m., Sunday, March 24. Police say there were no signs of forced entry.

Sources stated the gym floor was gouged when the Pirate was dragged from the lobby to a rear door.

The Pirate was retrieved by school district personnel several days later at an undisclosed location. Damage included the knob of the Pirate's staff being broken off, scratches and chips in the wood of the structure.

The statue was believed to have been carved around 1974 by John Faust, an art teacher at the high school, with the help from some students.