fire causes evacuation at law center
A fire started in one of the dryers in the basement of
the Platte County Law Enforcement Center on Monday, causing
the evacuation of the upper level of the law enforcement
According to Shelle Browning, spokesperson of the Platte
County Sheriff's Department, the fire caused a lot of
smoke, but no damage was sustained beyond the dryer.
Browning stated that while the cause has not yet been
determined, preliminary investigations indicate some type
of clothing was ignited within the dryer. Browning added
the sheriff's department called in deputy staff and mutual
aid from the Platte City Police Department in case the
need arose to move the inmates. Browning stated that need
did not arise.