Covering Platte County, Missouri Weekly Since 1865
Legal Notices
County Foreclosures
Local News
Between the Lines
by Ivan Foley
The Rambling Moron
by Chris Kamler
The Right Stuff
by James Thomas
Straight from Stigall
by Chris Stigall
Parallax Look
by Brian Kubicki
KC Confidential
by Hearne Christopher
Off the Couch
by Greg Hall
Pleasantly Eccentric
by Aimee Patton
Pig Skin Picks
Letters to the Editor
"Send Your Letter"
Weekly publication dates are Wednesdays
52 Main Street0
P.O. Box 410
Platte City, Missouri 64079

Fax :816-858-2313
by email
Click Here!
by phone



Edgerton man dies after suffering lacerations
Girlfriend finds him in abandoned building


by Ivan Foley
Landmark publisher

An investigation is underway, though authorities at this time do not suspect foul play, in the death of an Edgerton man over the weekend.

Jonathan T. Johnson, 37, died early Saturday. He was pronounced dead in the driveway at a home in the 400 block of Main Street in Edgerton.

Johnson worked for Platte County. He served as assistant golf course superintendent at Shiloh Springs, the county-owned golf course east of Platte City.

According to an incident report by the sheriff’s department, a sheriff’s deputy received a call for service to the residence on Main Street in regard to an unresponsive party with lacerations. The deputy was dispatched at 2:56 a.m. The deputy and Edgerton-Trimble Rescue arrived at 3:11 a.m..

In his report, the deputy says he arrived to find the man on the ground of the gravel driveway. The deputy says there was no blood around the man but the body had a large amount of dried blood on white shorts and socks.

CPR efforts began. The deputy in his report says he observed two large wounds that had a large amount of blood coming from the smaller opening while CPR was being performed.

At 3:13 a.m. another medical unit arrived on the scene and applied monitoring equipment to the man. A medic a short time later contacted a doctor at St. Luke’s Northland who pronounced the man dead at 3:22 a.m., according to the police report.

According to the deputy’s report, Johnson’s girlfriend advised that she and Johnson had been at the home of Johnson’s cousin listening to music until around 12:30 a.m. The report says the girlfriend said when they got home Johnson drank a “couple” more beers. She said Johnson stated that “it’s not going to be good” and when she asked what’s not going to be good, Johnson said “he was going to kick butt or something,” according to the report. The girlfriend said she thought Johnson was “just mouthing” and watched him walk up through the park.

According to the police report, about an hour later after Johnson had not come home, the girlfriend said she went back to the cousin’s house to see if Johnson was there. When she saw that he was not at the cousin’s house, she said she began calling and texting him. When she could not reach him she walked around town to find him, according to the police report.

She told police she found a broken out window at a building described by authorities as an old bar. She said she hollered into the bar and did not get a response. She then went to get the cousin and they both got into the old bar and found Johnson.

The girlfriend told authorities she figured Johnson was passed out so she and Johnson’s cousin loaded him into her vehicle and transported him back to the home in the 400 block of Main in the driveway, according to the report. The girlfriend said after looking at Johnson and feeling him, she dialed 911, according to the police report.

Police documents indicate after Johnson was pronounced dead at 3:22 a.m., the scene was secured and the deputy began a crime scene log at 3:49 a.m. Shortly before 5 a.m. an investigator from the sheriff’s department arrived and processed the scene. Later an investigator from the Jackson County Medical Examiner, which provides services to Platte County, arrived and processed the scene.

Johnson’s body was taken by the Jackson County Medical Examiner at 8:44 a.m.

According to the police report, evidence gathered as part of the investigation includes photos of the crime scene, photos of the scene where Johnson was originally found in the abandoned building, a shard of glass containing blood droplets, and an empty aluminum Natural Light beer can.

Major Erik Holland with the sheriff’s department told The Landmark that it will take at least a couple of weeks to get reports back from the medical examiner. Holland said it appears Johnson may have been intoxicated and no foul play is suspected in the death at this time.

According to Johnson’s obituary provided by Hixson-Klein Funeral Home, Johnson attended Blue Valley School in Stanley, Kan. and North Platte School in Edgerton and Dearborn.

The obituary says he “enjoyed fishing, hunting, being outdoors and loved his dogs and being with his family and friends.”