Covering Platte County, Missouri Weekly Since 1865
Legal Notices
County Foreclosures
Local News
Between the Lines
by Ivan Foley
The Rambling Moron
by Chris Kamler
The Right Stuff
by James Thomas
Straight from Stigall
by Chris Stigall
Parallax Look
by Brian Kubicki
KC Confidential
by Hearne Christopher
Off the Couch
by Greg Hall
Pleasantly Eccentric
by Aimee Patton
Pig Skin Picks
Letters to the Editor
"Send Your Letter"
Weekly publication dates are Wednesdays
52 Main Street0
P.O. Box 410
Platte City, Missouri 64079

Fax :816-858-2313
by email
Click Here!
by phone



Woman shot in leg,
suspect shot by police
Incident occurs not far from Park Hill

by Valerie Verkamp
Landmark assistant editor

A female suffered a serious injury to her knee Wednesday when she was allegedly shot by her husband.

Kansas City police then shot the suspect, who is expected to recover.

The incident happened at a home located not far from Park Hill High School.

According to Darin Snapp, public information officer with the Kansas City Police Department, authorities received a disturbance call at 4 a.m. from a homeowner near the 7500 block of NW 79th Street, just a couple of blocks southeast of Park Hill High School.

The woman said her husband was outside shooting a rifle. Minutes later, a second 9-1-1 call came in reporting the woman had been shot in the leg.

Snapp says when officers arrived at the scene, the victim was found lying on the ground with her husband standing over her with an assault rifle allegedly pointed at her.

Two Kansas City police officers fired their weapons, shooting the male suspect at least a couple of times in the arm and the mid-section of his side.

Both the victim and the suspect were transferred to an area hospital. The injuries the female sustained are serious but not life-threatening. Snapp said the woman was communicating with police but the injury to her knee is severe.

The husband also sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

The couple has two kids ranging in age from approximately six to 10-years-old. Police say the children were asleep and did not witness the incident.

The grandmother of the children drove from Ottawa to be with them, police told The Landmark early Wednesday morning.